Last night I made Paella for the first time and although I cheated a little bit (used some ingredients that shouldnâ€™t be in there) it turned out delicious so I thought I would share it with you! Meals like paella and risotto are so easy and only used one pot (yay for less washing up!) I donâ€™t know why I havenâ€™t cooked them more before now!
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed (or if you are me about 4 cloves!)
1 capsicum, finely diced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 cups of white rice (I used jasmine, but long grain rice is the usual type used)
1 can chopped Italian tomatoes (400g)
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup frozen peas
A large handfull of Green/string beans
1. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Add oil andÂ cook bacon until just crispy. remove and set aside.
2. Add chicken to frying pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Add onion, garlic and capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft
3. Add rice, turmeric, cumin, beans, prawns and stock to frying pan. Stir until well combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 - 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice and vegetables is tender.
(note: For a richer flavour/sauce also add a tin of diced tomatoes! I forgot to get some but it was just as delicious without it!)
4. Remove lid. Stir through bacon and peas. Cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
5. Serve and Enjoy!This is a pretty filling meal so you should be able to serve at least 4 people with this amount :)