Bottle your own Home Made Lemonade!
After the holiday celebrations we found ourselves with a surplus of empty bottles, and in particular, these glass soda water bottles caught my eye. So naturally, I liberated them for some home grown recycling.
After a soak in some warm soapy water, their ugly store labels scrubbed right off, leaving them clean and ready for something a little nicer. It only takes 5 minutes to print a set of these adorable Home Made Lemonade labels (Print onto an A4 sheet of adhesive paper) and give your cheap-o supermarket bottles a new lease on life!
Fill your pretty ‘new’ bottles with some home made lemonade (you wouldn’t want that label to be a lie, now would you?) and your done! I’ve even supplied my favourite recipe for classic home made lemonade below! Take them to work or send them to school with your little ones, just generally show em off! Convince your friends you have your own exclusive brand. I wont tell ;)
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (around 6-8 lemons)
- 6 cups of water
- 1 cup of white sugar
- Soda water (optional)
- Place the lemons on a hard flat surface and with the palm of your hand, firmly roll the lemons back and forth to soften the insides. Cut each lemon in half two and using a citrus juicer, extract the juice into a bowl and set aside.
- Place the left over lemon rinds into a large bowl and set aside also.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups of water to the boil.
- Place the sugar in a bowl and pour over 1 cup of boiling water. Mix until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the remaining boiling water over the lemon rinds, cover and allow to sit for at least an hour.
- Discard the lemon rind and combine with the sugar water, lemon juice and an additional 2 cup
- Cover the lemon rinds with the other 3 cups of boiling water and let this sit for about an hour and you will have lemon infused water. Discard the rinds.
- In a large pitcher, combine the lemon juice, the dissolved sugar water, the 3 cups of lemon infused water and the remaining 2 cups of water (or substitute for soda water if you prefer more fizz!). Mix well before decanting into your prepared glass bottles.
- Chill this in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight before serving for a deeper flavour or else serve with a few extra wedges of lemon to garnish.