EAT | Choc Chip Crumb Cookie Icecream Sandwiches
As we discussed yesterday, July is ice cream month in the US. “No Fair!” cry out all the other countries, but to them I say - why should America get all the fun? Ice cream month sounds amazing, so let’s crash this party! We’re going to celebrate with a whole series of ice cream related recipes over the next few weeks. Let’s kick things off with an old faithful; ice cream sandwiches.
These cookies are an amalgamation of chocolate chip cookies and crumb cakes . As the name suggests, these cookies are super crumbly and while delicious on their own, when combined with ice cream they are next level. A soft, crumbly cookie is the key to a good ice cream sandwich and these cookies sure do deliver! The crumble and chocolate chips mix in with the ice cream into a glorious messy marriage. Napkins are a must on this one guys! Be prepared for sticky fingers and dripped on shirts! Ice cream sandwiched by cookies. Is there anything better?
1 large egg
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
125g softened butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2/3 cup of self-raising flour
1 cup of plain flour
Roughly 1 cup of mini chocolate chips
Vanilla Ice cream
1/2 cup of plain flour
1. Preheat oven to around 180 degrees Celsius (or 160 degrees if you have a fan-forced oven)
2. Place butter, caster sugar, brown sugar and vanilla together in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is pale and of a creamy consistency.
3. Add the egg and beat again until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the plain flour and self-raising flour. In small parts, stir the flour mixture into the butter/sugar mix until the mixture starts to form into dough. Mix in half the chocolate chips at the same time.
5. Spoon small amounts of the dough and roll in the palm of your hand into a ball.
6. Place dough balls onto a baking tray lined with baking paper 5cm apart. With the back of a spoon press an indent into the center of each cookie.
7. To make the crumble topping, place the flour and butter in a bowl and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour. Continue to do this until your mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Mix in the remaining chocolate chips and sprinkle the crumble topping over the cookies.
8. Bake for about 5 minutes, as the cookies spread out, top with more crumble topping. Cook for another 7 - 10 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden but still very soft.
9. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow to cool. Once completely cool, place 1 – 2 scoops of ice cream between two to cookies and press together firmly.