Recipe | Mini Strawberry Crumb Cakes
Raise your hand if you read designlovefest? Haha - just kidding! Of course you do! Who doesn’t? Now that we have cleared that up, lets talk about the Blueberry crumb cake Bri shared a few weeks ago. Uh… hello delicious thing! Where have you been all my life? I don’t know about you, but for me it was love at first site! I’ve never tried crumb cake before but it looked so damn incredible I just HAD to try my own version!
Originally, I was going to make a full sized cake as per usual. But when I went digging in my
crazy cluttered kitchen cupboards, I came across the set of mini cake tins I bought on sale and never used. Now, I might not know what regular crumb cake is like, but what I do know is that in miniature form, it’s pretty much perfect! Trust me on this…
|INGREDIENTS:200g of room temperature butter
3/4 cup of caster sugar
2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
1 cup of self-raising flour
1 cup of plain flour
3/4 cup of milk
500g of strawberriesCrumble topping
1/2 cup of plain flour
(*Adapted from this recipe)
|1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 4 mini springform cake tins with butter and set aside on a baking tray.2. Using a mixer or electric beaters, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy.3. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each egg.4. Combine the flours in a separate bowl and using a spoon, fold into the butter mixture, alternating even parts with the milk until well combined.
5. Spoon into the prepared tins and smooth the surface.
6. Wash and cut your strawberries in quarters (or smaller). Top each prepared tin with the strawberries, pressing gently into the mixture.
7. To make the crumble topping, place the flour and butter in a bowl and using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour. Continue to do this until your mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Sprinkle the crumble topping over the strawberries.
8. Bake in oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Mini cakes can vary in cooking time so keep an eye on these guys while they cook.
9. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. Serve cake warm or at room temperature.